[Samba] confirm deletion - possible?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 26 12:16:04 UTC 2021

On 26/01/2021 12:03, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> Am 22.01.21 um 10:25 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:
>> Am 21.01.21 um 11:01 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:
>>
>>> I now follow a howto I found:
>>>
>>> https://dr-luthardt.de/linux.htm?tip=smbtrash
>>>
>>> the idea is:
>>>
>>> * hide .Trash via "veto files"
>>> * share .Trash for a defined list of "valid users" as separate share
>>>
>>> looks promising, I wait for the user there to test my first draft
>>
>> To give feedback:
>>
>> they are happy for now with this approach.
>
> ... until now.
>
> I get feedback that the "power user" (userC in example below) isn't
> able to access all the deleted files of the other users.
>
> And something about 0 bytes files in there ....

We had this recently, it is the way that Windows rename etc works, it
creates a NULL file then deletes it as part of the process.

> userC is member of UNIX group "users"
If Windows is involved, then forget 'users' use 'Domain Users' (which
'users' is a member of) instead.

> ---
>
> I assume I could/should get rid of stuff like "create mask" ? That is
> historical stuff from years ago, never touched because "works".

If Windows is involved, I would remove a lot of lines from the share and
then set the permissions from Windows.

Rowland