[Samba] winbind offline logon

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jan 22 15:59:14 UTC 2021

On 22/01/2021 14:19, Piviul via samba wrote:
> Il 22/01/21 14:41, Rowland penny via samba ha scritto:
>> OK Piviul, I have something else for you to test 😁
>>
>> Add 'lock directory = /var/cache/samba/' to smb.conf
>>
>> Reboot with the cable connected
>>
>> Login as a domain user
>>
>> Remove the cable and reboot again
>>
>> Try and login again
>
> ok Rowland, before test again I can ask you if I have to config the
> krb5 cc folder to /var/cache/samba/ instead of /temp?
>
> Piviul

I tested it with a modified /etc/krb5.conf & /etc/pam.d/common-auth and
it worked. I then reverted to the standard versions of the two files and
it still works.

The problem appears to stem from Louis's packages, but I am fairly sure
that he has inherited that from Debian, who inherited it from the idiot
who decided to make /var/run a symlink to /run and put /run into tmpfs!

Louis has '--with-lockdir=/run/samba \' in debian/rules . This means
that 'gencache.tdb' gets wiped every time the computer reboots and as
far as I am aware, offline winbind needs 'gencache.tdb'

Note: this is just my own opinion.

Rowland