[Samba] Problem with Home folders

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jan 21 20:50:56 UTC 2021

On 21/01/2021 20:35, Stephen Atkins wrote:
> On 21/01/2021 1:22 p.m., Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> On 21/01/2021 20:08, Stephen Atkins wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm assuming that since I've change vfs objects = shadow_copy2
>>> acl_xattr in global I can remove it from the shares?
>>

> But on any shares that I do want it on I should also include the
> "acl_xattr".  Guess what I'm getting at is if I don't want it on all
> shares I should remove the vfs object from global.  Then on any shares
> that I don't want shadow copies it should just have the acl_xattr.
> Any shares that I want shadow copies should have both.
Two ways of doing this, the way you describe above, or by setting 'vfs
objects = acl_xattr' in global and 'vfs objects = shadow_copy2
acl_xattr' in the shares that need shadow copies. This way, the share
'vfs objects' will override the global setting and also means that you
don't need to remember to set it if you add any more shares

> BTW things seem to be working a bit better.  Still having issues with
> permissions but it's more to do with inheritance then anything.
> Basically I want to map a drive to a share for each user (with that
> setting).  I want all domain users to be able to see if their name is
> in the directory but not to have any access to the named directories.
>
> It looks like after ADUC creates the directory on the server I'm going
> to have to go in and turn off inheritance and set the permissions
> manually.  That is unless I'm doing something wrong that someone might
> see.
Try reading 'man smb.conf' about the 'root preexec' parameter, you can
probably use this to run a script to do what you require.

> Thanks for the help everyone.  Samba has come so far since I last
> really tried anything with it like this.  Last time Samba was still in
> the 2.x range.

Sheesh, the last version of samba 2 was released over 15 years ago.

Rowland