[Samba] Problem with Home folders

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jan 21 19:15:54 UTC 2021

On 21/01/2021 17:56, Stephen Atkins wrote:
> Yes I know they are not the same.  While the Global has "template
> homedir" it's really not used as my users are not logging in to this
> server.  What I setup was under the Users properties in the AD Users
> and Computers under the Profile tab and set the Home Folder to point
> to the samba server "\\192.168.32.10\Users\satkins".

When you refer to the 'Home Folder', I take you mean the box under where
you set the users profile. This sets/creates the users Windows folder
and has nothing to with the 'template homedir' setting. If your users
never directly log into the Unix domain member, you can remove the two
'template' lines. If you do not require Unix home dirs and login shell,
you should also remove 'idmap config MD:unix_nss_info = yes' and if you
don't actually need user private groups, you can also remove 'idmap
config MD:unix_primary_group = yes'

when you set the users Home Folder in ADUC, are you using
'\\<servername>\<sharename\<username>' ?

The '*' domain is not used for local users & groups, it is meant for the
Well Known SIDs and anything outside the MD domain, the local users &
groups are stored in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

The way you have set vfs objects in your share has turned off acl_xattr
on the share, either set 'vfs objects acl_xattr shadow_copy2' in the
share, or just set both in 'global'

Rowland