[Samba] confirm deletion - possible?

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Wed Jan 20 14:28:49 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-20 13:08, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> Am 19.01.21 um 15:40 schrieb Peter Milesson via samba:
>
>> It's really strange that you don't get a confirmation dialog from
>> Windows 10. I have got an ancient stand alone Samba server ver.
>> 4.0.9, kernel 3.11.0, OS Slackware 14.0. It's really ancient stuff. I
>> use it frequently from Windows 10 (20H2), and Windows always asks if
>> I want to delete the file permanently. Mounting a share on the box
>> from Linux, I will get the confirmation question if the OS is setup
>> in that way (CentOS default). Other Linuxes just delete the files
>> without further nagging. Total Commander in Android also asks
>> politely. So it's a client thing.
>
> Ah, interesting, thanks.
>
> In this case I can only believe what the users tell me. They access
> the shares from some thin clients, and these are AD-members in the ADS
> of the "large company", while their samba-server is in a separated
> subnet which I run for that one "department".
>
> So I don't have access to the TCs to check things, I could only test
> it with some windows PC from my place (which definitely runs other
> group policies etc).
>
>> As was suggested previously, using some kind of network recycle bin
>> may be a good idea to protect files from disappearing permanently
>> (also keep good backups, if the files may be valuable).
>
> Yes, I suggested that already. And I assume they will want me to turn
> that on soon.
>
> I also run rsnapshots on the filesystems below the shares ... plus
> backups to tape.
>
> It's not that I/we don't have layers of backups, they want some rules
> in place to avoid mistakes from the start.

Hi Stefan,

One thing comes to my mind here. You wrote that the users connect with
thin clients. Are they using the thin clients as terminals to Windows
Remote Desktop (server/virtual desktops)? Or do the thin clients work as
full desktop computers (presumably with some kind of Linux OS)?

If Windows Remote Desktop, then the thin clients have got nothing to do
with the operations. They just take care of the I/O. In this case the
remote desktop implement all defined GPOs for the computers/groups/users
involved. If there is a GPO defined that says "Don't ask for delete
confirmation", that's it. There is such a bird in the Windows jungle.
Maybe it applies to your set up.

If the users use the thin clients as full grown work stations, then
you've got to have a look if you can tweak the OS in the thin client.

Best regards,

Peter