[Samba] symlinks loop detection in Samba?

Giuseppe Lo Presti Giuseppe.LoPresti at cern.ch
Mon Jan 18 10:41:12 UTC 2021

Hi all,

Following an old thread at [1] I wonder whether there's been any
thought/plan to implement symbolic links loop detection in smbd.

This was seen on our setup with Samba 4.11.16, and for now we have
deployed a workaround in our own filesystem implementation to stop the
looping (by essentially hiding symlinks that point up the hierarchy, so
Windows clients would not have a chance to loop on them). But I guess it
would be nice if symlinks can be fully supported (i.e. keeping `follow
symlinks = yes` whilst detecting loops), compensating the lack of
support from Windows.

 From that thread it seems Jeremy had some ideas, not sure how this went
and whether there's some option I've missed that would do the trick.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and kind regards,
Giuseppe

[1] https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2017-September/211089.html