[Samba] usershare contain invalid characters

L A Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Fri Jan 15 23:33:09 UTC 2021

On 2021/01/14 02:54, Maik Holtkamp via samba wrote:
> ---cut--
>   process_usershare_file: share name daten*.* contains invalid
> characters (any of %<>*?|/\+=;:",)
> ---cut---
>
> I have no clue where to look for this usershare definition 'daten*.*' :(

if user shares are enabled, then would it be whatever the user
specifies (i.e. it wouldn't be in your config), but could be
a transient user-share/unshare that _was_ shared, but was
unshared before you could see it listed.  Though if it was
disallowed, it seems it wouldn't have been created and therefore
seems odd that you'd see it so many times.

It seems a bit odd that samba would try to interpret extra
meta characters in a user-share string.  I.e. seems a bit odd
that in addition to the normal disallowed DOS chars of:

    \/:*?"<>|

that the chars:

    %+=;,

are also disallowed.  Really?  They are legal dos/windows
filenames, so it is easy to see how a user might try to share
a name that has those extra characters in it.