[Samba] no Access to network share after login until restart of smbd

Andreas Hauffe andreas.hauffe at tu-dresden.de
Thu Jan 14 07:41:45 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm facing a strange problem and perhaps someone can help. Only few
users of our small system (130 Clients with 200 Users) having troubles
to access network shares after login on windows 10 clients with their
domain user. Our fileserver (Debian, Samba 4.13.2) is a simple domain
member. The shares are provided by network drives that are created by GPO.

When the user clicks on a network drive after login, there is a message
"Windows cannot access \\...\..." for a few seconds. After the first
message the user gets "\\...\... is not accessable. You might not have
the permission to use this network resource. ...". When smbd is
restarted on the file server after the login of the user, the network
drive/share is accessable without any problems. So permissions on the
file server seem to be correct. The strange point is the following. The
network drive is mapped to the share by "\\hostname\sharename". When
this is not accessable after login and the user tries to access the
share by "\\FQDN\sharename" or "\\IP\sharename", the share is accessable
without problems. After changing the GPO to another way of definition
(hostname, fqdn, ip) this gets locked and the other two are working.

It seems to me, that the network share is accessed by the user account
during login, when it has no access to the share. This info is cached
and the user never gets access again until a restart of smbd. The only
common thing concerning the accounts I found, are additional mapped
network drives to the same shares or subfolders that are created by the
users. But this works for many other users accounts.

Is there someone, that can give a hint to solve the problem?

Regards,
Andreas

**