[Samba] RSAT for Win7

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Tue Jan 12 08:15:57 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-11 19:44, Michael Howard via samba wrote:
> On 11/01/2021 16:27, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
>>
>> On 2021-01-11 16:54, Dale via samba wrote:
>>> Does anyone have an alternate download location for Windows 7 RSAT?
>>> The link in the wiki is quite dead.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dale
>>>
>> Hi Dale,
>>
>> Isn't it much less fuzz to enable the optional RSAT tools in Windows
>> 10 (Settings/Apps/Optional features/Add a feature)?
>>
>> I know lots of people love Windows 7 (I'm one of them), but for the
>> sake of security, I would be very reluctant to let Windows 7 into my
>> internet exposed networks. Remember, there are no security updates
>> rolled out anymore. And more and more applications don't work under
>> Windows 7.
>>

> There might not be security 'updates' but at least you are running a
> non-crippled OS with Windows 7. Try setting up Teaming and Vlans in
> Windows 10. Nightmare.

Hi Michael,

Been there, done that. I've got a few servers running Windows 2016/2019
setup with multiple NICs and VLANs. Let's say it's very kludgy, in one
case it took the better part of a day to convince the OS about correct
routing. But it works. In Linux it takes a few seconds. Under XP and
Vista it's also a snap. However, those systems, like Windows 7, are
unsecure and nothing useful really don't run there anymore. Windows 7 is
going the same way, slowly, but inevitably.

Best regards,

Peter