[Samba] issue with samba list and O365

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Sun Jan 10 18:42:11 UTC 2021

Hi Jason,
Microsoft does weird stuff .. check out https://github.com/mailcow/mailcow-dockerized/issues/2851. I assume they only improve as customers of all kind complain against their practices.
Best Regards, Joachim

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: samba <samba-bounces at lists.samba.org> Im Auftrag von Jason Keltz via samba
Gesendet: Sunday, 10 January 2021 17:11
An: samba at lists.samba.org
Betreff: [Samba] issue with samba list and O365

Hi..

I have a question that is a bit off topic because it involves this mailing list itself, but not Samba.  :)

I recently tried changing my email address on the list from one system to another.  The destination system uses MS O365.    When I didn't receiving the confirmation email on the destination system, I was puzzled.  I tried a few times on a few different days, then contacted the samba list maintainer who verified that the confirmation messages were actually being sent.  To make a long story short, I have verified with my organization that the messages are being treated by MS as spam!
However, it gets better than that.  Apparently, samba mailing list confirmation messages are *so bad* that MS doesn't think it's safe for me to be able to view them from my spam folder.  To protect me, good old MS actually quarantines them on my organizations site, and they need to be released manually to me.   I'm glad MS is looking out for me!  It's not clear whether individual mailing list messages would be the same or not.  I tried from another mailing list that uses mailman as well
(freebsd.org) and the confirmation message was also quarantined.  My organization submitted a ticket to MS, but I'm just curious about whether anyone on the list is using O365 e-mail, and whether this is something new.  Even though my organization is obviously willing to release the quarantined email to me, I'm hesitant to reply to it to complete the move in case ALL messages sent from mailman lists will be quarantined.  Any thoughts? :)  Big brother is watching!!

Jason.