[Samba] Verify if Samba AD was provisioned with RFC2037

Marco Shmerykowsky marco at sce-engineers.com
Sun Jan 3 18:33:29 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-03 11:38 am, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 03/01/2021 15:35, Marco Shmerykowsky wrote:

>>> That link seems to refer to IPA and AD is different, For instance you
>>> cannot rely on the 'posix' objectclasses being in AD (in fact
>>> anything
>>> that does, is, in my opinion, broken), the 'posix objectclasses are
>>> auxiliary objectclasses of Windows objectclasses and as such are not
>>> required.
>>>
>>> What is your search query and what do you expect the results to be ?
>>
>> my query is ->
>> memberOf=CN=VPN-Users,CN=users,DC=internal,DC=external,DC=com
>>
>> Users who will be allowed access to the VPN are assigned to a security
>> group
>> named "VPN-Users".  I then used Softerra's ldapbrowser
>> (www.ldapadministrator.com)
>> to look at one of the users in the group and pulled the syntax for the
>> "memberof"
>> attribute that listed the VPN-User group.
>>
>> I would expect the extend query to validate a user who is a member of
>> the VPN-Users group.
>
> OK, I do not have a group called 'VPN-Users', but I do have one called
> 'vpnusers', so try this (adapted for your setup):
>
> ldbsearch -H ldap://samdom.example.com -b
> 'dc=samdom,dc=example,dc=com' -s sub
> '(&(memberOf=CN=vpnusers,CN=Users,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com)(sAMAccountName=rowland))'
> -P
>
> or using ldapsearch:
>
> ldapsearch -H ldap://samdom.example.com -b
> 'dc=samdom,dc=example,dc=com' -s sub
> '(&(memberOf=CN=vpnusers,CN=Users,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com)(sAMAccountName=rowland))'
> -D 'cn=Administrator,dc=samdom,dc=example,dc=com' -W
>
> Both of them work for myself, but the first one doesn't ask for a
> password.
>
> Rowland

Using ldbsearch I get the following:

# Referral
ref:
ldap://internal.external.com/CN=Configuration,DC=internal,DC=external,DC=com

# Referral
ref:
ldap://internal.externak.com/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=internal,DC=external,DC=com

# Referral
ref:
ldap://internal.external.com/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=nternal,DC=external,DC=com

# returned 3 records
# 0 entries
# 3 referrals

Just a note that my VPN with authentication via SAMBA is working without
the "extended query" option.  I can connect my computer to the domain,
login
to the network, and access all my drive mappings.  Something is wrong
with
how I'm trying the extended query.