[Samba] username map = user.map file not read

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jan 3 18:02:55 UTC 2021

On 03/01/2021 17:47, raphael grosjean via samba wrote:
> The problem that I can't get Administrator map to root on linux clients (and for security purpose we must change root password on each client)

The way that the username map works is this:

You are logged into a Windows machine as Administrator and need to
change the permissions on a Samba share. Administrator opens the shares
properties tab and then attempts to change something on the share, at
this point 'Administrator' is unknown to the Unix machine, but, because
of the username map, 'Administrator' becomes 'root' and the changes are
allowed, the password is never asked for.

If you are attempting to do something else, then tell what you are
attempting and I will tell you if it is possible.

Rowland