[Samba] libsmbclient support for ? < > \ : * | " characters possible?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Jan 2 23:27:29 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 05:26:58PM +0100, Jelle de Jong via samba wrote:
>Hello everybody,
>
>Can we get samba/libsmbclient to support characters that are supporet
>on Linux filesystems like ? < > \ : * | "
>
>I am having a few solutions where we use samba/smb as the
>communication layer between ext4/nfs/samba/nextcloud with inotify
>support ect.
>
>Nextcloud is using php-smbclient that is talking to libsmbclient and
>is not creating exceptions when reading files that have characters
>that are not supported by native windows, which I understand but I am
>not having any Windows systems at play here.

libsmbclient supports the full UNIX character set
with SMB1+POSIX extensions.

So right now you can do this but you'd have to switch
back to SMB1+POSIX on the server, which isn't
recommended but will give you complete full
POSIX character set fidelity between libsmbclient
and Samba today.

Once we get SMB2+POSIX extensions done for SMB2
(after the server VFS rewrite) then a new Samba
smbd + new libsmbclient will support this natively.

Note that you'll won't get this to a Windows
server as these characters are reserved for
a Windows SMB implementation.