[Samba] Samba, Domains, Realms, Workgroups, on an AD DC

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Thu Feb 25 19:26:29 UTC 2021

Bear with me, I'm trying to get this straight in my mind how all of the
parts interrelate.

I have an existing NT4 style domain and I am trying to get up to speed
on AD domains to convert my existing servers to AD DCs.
I've set up a AD DC on a Ubuntu 20.04 computer and have it running but
I'm having difficulty understanding the relationships between the old
and new terminology.

I understand AD does it's name resolution through DNS and that the DNS
domain and the AD realm are related to the NetBIOS domain name (aka
workgroup).

The realm is the uppercase of the DNS domain name.

I understand that the NetBIOS domain name is the same as a workgroup
name and can be anything but by convention is the leftmost  segment of
the Realm, which is in turn the uppercase of the DNS domain

Therefore in a DNS domain with the name sub.domain.com
The REALM would be SUB.DOMAIN.COM
The Netbios Domain would be SUB

Is it necessary for the individual member servers and clients to be part
of the DNS subdomain?
Could computername.domain.com belong to Realm.CITYNAME.DOMAIN.COM and be
part of workgroup CITYNAME?
Or would it's DNS name be required to be computername.sub.domain.com?

At present in our NT style domain the computers are all named
computername.domain.com where COMPUTERNAME is also their netbios name.

The workgroup is CITYNAME and there is no DNS subdomains.