[Samba] How long does samba connection live?

Yakov Revyakin yrevyakin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 19:01:26 UTC 2021

During load testing or desktop creation we're noticing many smbd processing
that appear to be kept open by open tcp connections. (My understanding is
that these processes should die quickly but instead they persist for about
2 hours). These processes continue to increase in number and use up memory
during a stress test because they only begin to die 2 hours into the test.
Questions are:
- Is there something in (or missing from) samba configuration that would
explain this? A connection timeout, keepalive etc.
- Or is this expected behaviour that these would remain open for so long -
even to powered-off machines?

Thanks,
Jake