[Samba] Any drawback in changing primary group of domain users ?

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 13:56:40 UTC 2021

After reading all of your considerations, which at the moment
I can only partially understand, this is what I made.

---- /etc/smb.conf --------------------
force group = adm

It seemed to me the easiest solution. To perform and to maintain.

I leave the Primary Group to "Domain Users" for all Windows domain user,
not to go against Windows habits.

I will keep it working for a week and see if any issue emerges.

The benefits seems to be:

. Directories don't get by default "Domain user" group when written in
the ext4. So "Domain user" people
can go only where I say they can go through 'getfacl'.  I don't need to
worry any more
about the interaction between Linux group permission and the W.Domain
users.

. My default user in NAS  is in the group "adm". 'adm' is not defined
as a group in AD => I can walk  freely in the shared disk still being
only a
"Linux user" without any Windows Domain Group.

thank you all for your insightful considerations and experience !

bye
Nicola