[Samba] How do I join an Centos8 workstation to an NT4 domain?

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 10:14:32 UTC 2021

On 24/02/2021 18:07, Nick via samba wrote:

> On 24/02/2021 17:09, Nick Howitt via samba wrote:
>>

>> On 24/02/2021 13:12, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

>>> You do not have a 'template homedir' line in your smb.conf, so yo
>>> will be using the default '/home/%D/%U' , so does '/home/HOME' exist ?
>>  >
>>
>> For the moment I have set "template homedir = /home/%U". I have a
>> suspicion why the documentation says "template homedir = /home/%D/%U",
>> so data loss is avoided if an account already exists, but it is not a
>> problem on my test set up so I've left it simple. Either way
>> /home/HOME exists
>>
>>> Also do you have the oddjob-mkhomedir package installed ?
>>  >
>>
>> yes

>>> It has been so long since I used an NT4-style domain, that I forgot
>>> there is no 'leave' like there is in AD.
>>>

>> NP. I'll do a full test of the process by rolling back the VM anyway.
>>
>> Nick
>>
> Got it. oddjob-mkhomedir has a service which needs to be enabled. Also I
> ran:
>
> authselect select winbind with-mkhomedir
>
> Stolen and adapted from
> https://computingforgeeks.com/join-centos-rhel-system-to-active-directory-domain/
>

> I'll roll back the VM tomorrow and re-test end-to-end.

I have tidied this up cutting out the irrelevant bits and run it through
my VM again. I have written up a mini how-to at
https://documentation.clearos.com/content:en_us:kb_howtos_add_centos8_workstation_to_the_samba_domain.

The one thing I cannot get to work is the join without either specifying
the -S or -I parameter. Setting "wins server" makes no difference.

Thanks for all your help.

Nick