[Samba] Dynamic DNS Updates Causing DHCP Timeouts

ralph strebbing blackbirdralph at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:50:56 UTC 2021

So an update on the situation as we've been testing internally all day on this:
We messed with branching the process and the solution we came up with
was to change the script being called in dhcpd.conf.
Instead of directly calling /usr/local/bin/dhcp-dyndns.sh, dhcpd now
calls another script (dubbed asyncdyndns.sh), which forks the process
and allows dhcpd to continue on it's way. After testing this
implementation on our test network, the problem was resolved and the
dhcp-dyndns script is still being run albeit in parallel now. The
script is below:

```
#!/bin/bash
runWithDelay() {
sleep 1;
"${@}";
}
runWithDelay /usr/local/bin/dhcp-dyndns.sh "$@" &
echo Running DynamicDNS Script
```
We'll be testing on the production network tomorrow and I'll report
how the test goes!

Oh, it's also worth noting the other change I noticed was the
dhcp-dyndns.cc file generated for Kerberos is now owned and accessed
by dhcpd rather than root, not sure if that would affect anything, but
the script was able to renew and generate the ticket so it seemed to
work fine.

Regards,
Ralph