[Samba] Printer driver upgrade/change...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Wed Feb 24 18:03:27 UTC 2021

In my Samba AD domain i'm using print$ share for driver deploying,
following:
	https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Automatic_Printer_Driver_Downloads_for_Windows_Clients

and all works as expected.

Recently we have found that a printer driver, in newer Win10 64bit
machine, sometime get crazy and start to print junk.

After doing some test we have found that a upgaded driver seems not
depicted this behaviour, so we installed driver server side (driver
have a different name, fortunately) and associate the new driver to
the printer.

After that a strange behaviour happen: users was not able anymore to
print (the printer seems was not able to upgrade driver, or at least
complain about 'driver not installed'); but if we delete the printer
and reinstalled it again with 'point and print', clearly on user
session not administrator one, printer install flawlessy with the new
driver, and works as expected.

Why driver install but not upgrade?

I hope i was clear, thanks.