[Samba] How do I join an Centos8 workstation to an NT4 domain?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 24 13:12:37 UTC 2021

On 24/02/2021 12:11, Nick Howitt via samba wrote:

>> Not really a Centos user, but I think you need to run 'authselect
>> select winbind with-mkhomedir'
> With your prompting, I found another reference. It needed a --force as
> well.
>
> So now PAM passes when I login at the desktop but it just throws me
> back to the desktop and no /home is set up for any user. If I manually
> clone my old local user's /home to the domain user and change the
> ownerships it does not help so I must be missing something here.
> Setting "template homedir = /home/%U" doesn't seem to help (and, I'd
> guess, would not give it the full desktop template). Getting closer.

You do not have a 'template homedir' line in your smb.conf, so yo will
be using the default '/home/%D/%U' , so does '/home/HOME' exist ?

Also do you have the oddjob-mkhomedir package installed ?

> "net leave" and "net rpc leave" both just give me the command help.

It has been so long since I used an NT4-style domain, that I forgot
there is no 'leave' like there is in AD.

Rowland