[Samba] How do I join an Centos8 workstation to an NT4 domain?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 23 20:49:36 UTC 2021

On 23/02/2021 20:11, Nick via samba wrote:

> On 23/02/2021 19:51, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

>>> I'm afraid it is the same problem:
>>>
>>> [root at proxmox106 ~]# net rpc join -U winadmin
>>> Enter winadmin's password:
>>> Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for domain HOME - The
>>> object was not found.
>>>
>>> I don't know if it is of interest but changing "client min protocol
>>> = NT1" to "client max protocol = NT1" gave:
>>>
>>> [root at proxmox106 ~]# net rpc join -U winadmin
>>> lp_load_ex: Max protocol NT1 is less than min protocol SMB2_02.
>>> lp_load_ex: Max protocol NT1 is less than min protocol SMB2_02.
>>> Enter winadmin's password:
>>> Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for domain HOME - The
>>> object was not found.
>>>
>>> Has NT1/SMB1 been removed from this version of Samba and could that
>>> be a problem? The server was running with "server min protocol =
>>> SMB2" and I changed it to allow SMB1 when I changed the min protocol
>>> to max protocol.
>>>

>> No, SMBv1 (Samba calls it NT1) hasn't been removed, it will still be
>> in 4.14.0 when it is shortly released, but who knows about 4.15.0 ?
>>
>> It was turned off by default at 4.11.0  but is still available for
>> use by setting 'client min protocol = NT1' for connections to a
>> server that uses it and setting 'server min protocol = NT1' to make a
>> server use it. A Samba machine can be both a client and a server.
>> There should be no reason to set 'client max protocol' or 'server max
>> protocol', they are both set to SMBv3 and will negotiate the best
>> protocol to use.
>>
>> You could try adding '-S PDC_NAME' or '-I PDC_IP' to your join command.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> Success (sort of):
> [root at proxmox106 ~]# net rpc join -U winadmin -v -S server
> Enter winadmin's password:
> Failed to join domain: failed to join domain 'HOME' over rpc: The
> specified account does not exist.
> [root at proxmox106 ~]# net rpc join -U winadmin -v -I 172.17.2.1
> Enter winadmin's password:
> Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for domain HOME - The object
> was not found.
> [root at proxmox106 ~]# net rpc join -U winadmin -v -S server.howitts.co.uk
> Enter winadmin's password:
> Using short domain name -- HOME
> Joined 'PROXMOX106' to domain 'HOME'
>
> Doesn't that indicate a DNS issue, but, if so what?

well, it would suggest a dns problem, except a PDC uses netbios, so is a
'wins server running on the PDC ? Do you have 'wins support = yes' in
the PDC's smb.conf ?

Try adding 'wins server = PDC_IP' in the clients smb.conf

The line you had in the clients smb.conf:

add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u

Should be in the PDC's smb.conf.

> FWIW home.server.howitts.co.uk also resolves to the same IP and the
> join by IP failed.
>
> Smb, nmb and winbind now start so that is good.

Well, at least you are getting somewhere 😂

> Also do I now need to do any PAM and nsswitch fixups? nsswitch.conf
> now reads:
>
> [root at proxmox106 ~]# grep '^\w' /etc/nsswitch.conf
> passwd:     sss files systemd
> group:      sss files systemd
> netgroup:   sss files
> automount:  sss files
> services:   sss files
> shadow:     files sss
> hosts:      files dns myhostname
> aliases:    files
> ethers:     files
> gshadow:    files
> networks:   files dns
> protocols:  files
> publickey:  files
> rpc:        files
>
> I assume it needs to reference winbind at least, instead of sss. The
> documentation I had said to do:
>
> passwd:         compat winbind
> group:          compat winbind
> shadow:         compat winbind
> hosts:          files dns wins
> networks:       files
> protocols:      db files
> services:       db files
> ethers:         db files
> rpc:            db files
> netgroup:       nis
>
> But the documentation is very old.

And still valid, don't forget NT4-style domains are very old.

Rowland