[Samba] Dynamic DNS Updates Causing DHCP Timeouts

ralph strebbing blackbirdralph at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 20:39:50 UTC 2021

Hi All,

So a couple weeks back I was working with Rowland to diagnose and
repair some issues with the dynamic DHCP script that allows for DHCP
to update AD DNS entries. This worked awesome until I started getting
the static entries added, and flipped the switch.

Once we attempted to move the new server into production things looked
like it was working fine, but after about an hour we started getting
reports of devices not working, looking deeper it was that these
random devices around the network weren't being issued an IP address.
We switched things back quickly and have since been working to
reproduce the issue.

We've finally reproduced it on a replication of our live network, and
have figured out that it's being caused by the dyndhcp.sh script that
updates AD DNS. More accurately after I removed the script hooks from
/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf the devices we were testing with immediately
grabbed an address. While manually running the script it took
approximately 16 seconds to execute, which I'm theorizing is causing
the devices to timeout on the current DHCP request, thus sending
another one.

My question boils down to this:
Is there a way to asynchronisly run that script so that the DHCP
server itself isn't being backed up with requests the devices won't
acknowledge by the time it can answer? If not, can the script be
optimized?
Also, is the time it takes to execute correlated with the sheer amount
of DNS entries/ReverseDNS entries we have? If this is the case, what
can we do to ensure a scalable solution because our DNS entries will
only continue to grow from here. A note on this since I started
writing this post: I've skimmed the list of DNS entries to test the
script execution time, and it still takes ~15 seconds to execute after
skimming the dynamic clients (We have ~80+ static entries for devices
that have multiple hostnames e.g pbx -> pbx1, but we also have pbx2
that we move the IP of pbx incase of failover, etc.)

Thanks for any advice and look forward to hearing other's thoughts on
the matter!

Regards,
Ralph S.