[Samba] How do I join an Centos8 workstation to an NT4 domain?

Nick nick at howitts.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 17:17:20 UTC 2021

On 23/02/2021 16:29, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

> On 23/02/2021 14:19, Nick Howitt via samba wrote:
>> Please don't ream me for using an NT4 domain, but that is the beast I
>> am stuck with.
>

> You might think you are stuck with it, but unless you plan to upgrade to
> Samba AD, you might find you are stuck without it. NT4-style domains are
> going away, in fact they were deprecated at 4.13.0
>
> It is your decision, but I felt that I should warn you.
>

>> I am trying to join a Centos 8 workstation to an NT4 domain and the
>> only notes I have are not really applicable -
>> https://documentation.clearos.com/content:en_us:kb_howtos_add_linux_workstation_to_the_samba_domain.
>> It references Ubuntu and its PAM configuration is irrelevant. In any
>> case I believe the join is falling down before PAM even comes into play.
>

> Ensure that all the Samba daemons are stopped, then try this '[global]'
> section of the smb.conf:
>
> [global]
>          domain master = No
>          security = DOMAIN
>          client min protocol = NT1
>          template shell = /bin/bash
>          winbind use default domain = Yes
>          workgroup = HOME
>          idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
>          idmap config * : backend = tdb
>          idmap config HOME : range = 10000000-19999999
>          idmap config HOME : backend = rid
>
> Try the join again and if it joins, then start winbind followed by smbd
> and nmbd.
>
> Rowland

I'm afraid it is the same problem:

[root at proxmox106 ~]# net rpc join -U winadmin
Enter winadmin's password:
Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for domain HOME - The object
was not found.

I don't know if it is of interest but changing "client min protocol =
NT1" to "client max protocol = NT1" gave:

[root at proxmox106 ~]# net rpc join -U winadmin
lp_load_ex: Max protocol NT1 is less than min protocol SMB2_02.
lp_load_ex: Max protocol NT1 is less than min protocol SMB2_02.
Enter winadmin's password:
Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for domain HOME - The object
was not found.

Has NT1/SMB1 been removed from this version of Samba and could that be a
problem? The server was running with "server min protocol = SMB2" and I
changed it to allow SMB1 when I changed the min protocol to max protocol.