[Samba] 2 AD DNS questions

Dale samba at txschroeder.family
Fri Feb 19 18:58:21 UTC 2021

(1)  I've had very little success in getting a 2nd DC to take over when
the 1st DC is down.  While searching for possible causes, I discovered
in RSAT that the reverse zone has only the 1st DC listed on the
nameserver tab of both DC's, unlike the forward zone, where both are
listed.  Additionally RSAT does not allow me to add the 2nd DC to the
nameserver tab, instead yielding a "Validation error, please try again
later" error message.  I assume there is a corresponding samba-tool
command to accomplish this, but I have not been able to find it.

(2)  Also, I seem to recall it being stated on this list that in AD,
each DC was supposed to be the SOA of its DNS records.  For me, the SOA
of both the forward and reverse zones on the 2nd DC is still the first
DC, just like a non-AD BIND9 server.  I'm just asking for clarification
of what the correct value should be for the SOA on each DC.

Thanks.
Dale