[Samba] winbind samlogon issue

Jason Keltz jas at eecs.yorku.ca
Thu Feb 18 00:19:29 UTC 2021

Hi..

I wanted to ask for more information on "net cache samlogon" and its
relation to "winbind cache time".

I assumed that samlogon is the winbind login cache.  I assume that when
you login to the system, winbind gets the login information (including,
for example, users groups) from the DC, and caches it locally.  I
expected that after "winbind cache time" (300s by default) that winbind
would clear the entry from samlogon cache so that when the user logs in
the next time, a new samlogon entry is created. I believe that after
joining a host to the domain, it appears to work like that.  However, at
some point later, things break.  This isn't on one machine, but multiple
machines.  A user will login, having been added to a group, and they
won't appear in that group.  Wait hours, and they still won't appear in
that group.  Do a "net cache samlogon list", get the users SID, delete
the SID from samlogon cache, have the user log out and back in, and it
magically works - the user is now in the required groups.  However, when
the user logs back in, do a "net cache samlogon list" and there won't be
an entry for the user anymore.  Just wondering if I could get some
clarity on whether I'm wrong in the way this should work, or if there's
maybe a bug?   IF that's the case, can I turn off the samlogon cache
completely? I could write a small script that clears it at regular
intervals, but I feel like winbind intends to do that itself and
probably should.

Thanks for any help,

Jason.