[Samba] DFS with two target

Stefan Kania stefan at kania-online.de
Wed Feb 17 16:36:00 UTC 2021

Hi everybody,

I try to setup a DFS with two targets. I have three fileserver:
fs-01 => the dfs-root
fs-02 => with shares
fs-03 => with share

here is the smb.conf from fs-02
----------
[global]
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind refresh tickets = Yes
        template shell = /bin/bash
        idmap config * : range = 10000 - 19999
        idmap config EXAMPLE : backend = rid
        idmap config EXAMPLE : range = 1000000 - 1999999
        inherit acls = Yes
        vfs objects = acl_xattr
        interfaces = 192.168.56.111
        bind interfaces only = yes
        workgroup = EXAMPLE
        realm = example.net
        security = ads

[briefe]
        path = /shares/briefe
        read only = no
        browseable = no

[failover]
        path = /shares/failover
        read only = no
        browseable = no
----------

And the one from fs-03
----------
[global]
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind refresh tickets = Yes
        template shell = /bin/bash
        idmap config * : range = 10000 - 19999
        idmap config EXAMPLE : backend = rid
        idmap config EXAMPLE : range = 1000000 - 1999999
        inherit acls = Yes
        vfs objects = acl_xattr
        interfaces = 192.168.56.112
        bind interfaces only = yes
        workgroup = EXAMPLE
        security = ads
        realm = example.net

[tabellen]
        path = /shares/tabellen
        read only = no
        browseable = no

[failover]
        path = /shares/failover
        read only = no
        browseable = no
----------

I would like to link the share "briefe" from fs-02 and "tabellen" from
fs-03 to the DF-root from fs-01

I can connect to both shares directly and write data as a "normal" AD-user.

AND the shares failover from fs-02 and fs-03 together to one target in
the same DFS-root

Here is the smb.conf from fs-01:
-----------
[global]
        workgroup = example
        realm = EXAMPLE.NET
        security = ADS
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind refresh tickets = Yes
        template shell = /bin/bash
        idmap config * : range = 10000 - 19999
        idmap config EXAMPLE : backend = rid
        idmap config EXAMPLE : range = 1000000 - 1999999
        inherit acls = Yes
        vfs objects = acl_xattr
        interfaces = 192.168.56.110
        bind interfaces only = yes
        host msdfs = yes

[dfstree]
        path = /dfstree
        msdfs root = yes
        comment = DFS-Tree
-----------

I created the directory /dfstree and creted the following links:
-------------
ln -s msdfs:fs-03\\tabellen tabellen
ln -s msdfs:fs-02\\briefe briefe
ln -s msdfs:fs-02\\failover,msdfs:fs-03\\failover failover

Connecting from a Windows-Client to the share [dfstree] works, and I can
write to "tabellen" and "briefe" and the files are stored on the correct
server. If I write a file to the directory "failover" inside the share,
The file will only be stored on fs-02 but not on fs-3.

I can mount both "failover" shares as a single share and write to it.

I can't figure out where the problem is :-(

Anny help?

Stefan