[Samba] Samba and Windows auditing

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 16 10:40:49 UTC 2021

On 16/02/2021 10:24, Alan Evangelista via samba wrote:
> I have a Linux directory which is mapped to a Windows network drive via
> Samba. I'd like to enable Windows auditing on the Windows side so that I
> could track filesystem operations. A benefit of auditing those events on
> the Windows side (over doing it in the Linux side, e.g. using the full
> audit module in Samba) is that I'd be able to get the ID of the process
> that started the FS operation and consequently the path of the executable
> file that started the FS operation.
>
> I'm using Centrify to map Windows users and permissions to Linux users and
> permissions and I can access the network drive contents on Windows without
> any problems.
>
> I'm a domain admin in the Windows Server 2016 box and I have enabled
> filesystem, file share, and file share details events on the local group
> policy editor (I enabled file share related events because I fear I won't
> get filesystem events out of Windows, as it's not really accessing the
> physical disk, but letting Linux do it instead). I'm now able to enable
> auditing on any local folder on the Windows Server 2016 box, except in the
> network drive mapped via Samba. I get the following error in the Auditing
> tab in the mapped directory properties: "You do not have permission to view
> or audit this object's audit settings". Is it possible that Samba is
> responsible for that permission error?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Alan, why have you asked this question three times in less then half an
hour ?

You also mention that you are using centrify, which is not produced or
supported by Samba. I suggest you ask centrify about your problem and
once you have ruled that out, or moved to winbind, then we can look at
your problem.

Rowland