[Samba] CPU 100% smbd 4.9.5 debian buster

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 15 16:37:51 UTC 2021

On 15/02/2021 15:48, Francesc Guasch wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 02:06:52PM +0000, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>
> Hi Rowland. Thanks for anwering me.
>> On 15/02/2021 12:39, Francesc Guasch via samba wrote:
>>> Hi. I have a samba server that suddenly gets smbd
>>> processes at 100% and becomes unusable.
>>>
>>> This is samba release 2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1
>>> [IPC$]
>>>       path = /tmp
>>>       hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
>>
>> Why have you created a hidden share called 'IPC' ?
> I don't know it has been here for ages.

I would remove it, Samba creates it by default without it being in smb.conf.

>> Is this a new PDC, or an existing one ?
> This server has been running all sambas since the last
> millenia. It was reinstalled a few months ago.

OK, then I suppose I should inform you that they are now deprecated and
will be going away. There is also the problem that smbldap-tools is no
longer maintained, it doesn't even have a valid website. I suggest you
start making plans to upgrade to AD.

>> Is apparmor running and possibly denying something ?
> Yes ! Some things spotted there. I just did:
> systemctl disable apparmor
> systemctl stop apparmor

Hopefully stopping apparmor  may cure your problem

>> Is there anything in the Samba logs ?
> I checked but overwhelming, what log level do you
> suggest ?

You are already using the log level I would start at. If you are
struggling to understand the logs and are willing to do so, send me the
samba logs, you can sanitise them if you like.

Rowland