[Samba] Root user shows up as "administrator"

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 15 15:21:19 UTC 2021

On 15/02/2021 14:55, Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we're in the process of migrating our Open Directory to Samba 4.13 in
> Debian 10. Our setup will be 8 DCs (1 for each location + 1 primary) and
> a few dozen more linux machines. Each of these machine should grant
> domain users rights to auth via SSH and samba. This should be true for
> our DCs too! So I want to ssh my-domain-user at dc-1 and manage the machine.

Two things to start with, remove 'security = USER' from the DC's
smb.conf (you might also want to reconsider some of the other lines you
added) and I take it that:

The administrator user has a UID (10372)

means you have given Administrator a uidNumber attribute containing
'10372', if so, remove it. On a Samba DC, Administrator is mapped to the
ID '0'. You use root on Unix and Administrator on Windows. Then when
Administrator (on Windows) tries to do something on Unix, it does it as
root.

Rowland