[Samba] Up to date SAMBA Administration GUI?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Feb 13 20:46:05 UTC 2021

On 13/02/2021 20:29, Robert Steinmetz AIA wrote:
> I don't have any domain members yet. What I'm setting up now is a new
> domain controller. But reading samba-tool documentation it seemed to
> me that when adding a new user it was necessary to use additional
> options to make a user both a Linux and Domain User. I did notice that
> when I set up the DC it didn't import any existing users on the
> server. There are only a few because this computer is essentially a test.

You don't have to add the rfc2307 options to get an AD user to be a Unix
user on a Unix domain member, you only need them if you want your users
& groups to have the same ID's on all Unix domain members and to be able
to set login shells and Unix home directories per user. If you have only
one domain, then you can use the winbind 'rid' backend and your ID's
will be calculated from the accounts windows RID, or if you have trusted
domains, you can use the 'autorid' backend, which works in a similar way.

Rowland