[Samba] New AD-DC missing some DNS Information

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Feb 13 17:21:31 UTC 2021

On 13/02/2021 16:51, Robert Steinmetz AIA via samba wrote:
> I just set up my first AD-DC on Ubuntu 20.04 and I've gotten most
> things working. I am still testing.
>
> I do have one issue so far.
>
> I'm using the internal DNS and it's working for most things except I
> used our domain name as the realm and on the DC. I can't get to
> computers not on our LAN. We have some servers at another location we
> need access to. For example our web server and email server are at the
> other location.

Did you have an existing dns server for your domain ?

If your read our documentation, you would find that we do not recommend
using your dns domain, it is recommended to use a subdomain.

> What is the best way to make these available?
>
> It seems to me the options might be:
>
> 1. Add them to the hosts file on the DC

I wouldn't

> 2. Somehow add them to the internal DNS but that duplicates the DNS.

Why would this 'duplicate' dns ?

> 3. Change the realm name to avoid the problem

Probably the best idea, but you would need to provision again, because
you will also have to change the dns domain (because the REALM is the
dns domain in uppercase).

> 4. Some other really easy thing I don't know yet.

Not that I am aware of.

> I'd like to avoid maintaining duplicate lists of the machines.

You really must explain that 😕

Rowland