[Samba] New AD-DC missing some DNS Information

Robert Steinmetz AIA rob at steinmetznet.com
Sat Feb 13 16:51:08 UTC 2021

I just set up my first AD-DC on Ubuntu 20.04 and I've gotten most things
working. I am still testing.

I do have one issue so far.

I'm using the internal DNS and it's working for most things except I
used our domain name as the realm and on the DC. I can't get to
computers not on our LAN. We have some servers at another location we
need access to. For example our web server and email server are at the
other location.

What is the best way to make these available?

It seems to me the options might be:

1. Add them to the hosts file on the DC
2. Somehow add them to the internal DNS but that duplicates the DNS.
3. Change the realm name to avoid the problem
4. Some other really easy thing I don't know yet.

I'd like to avoid maintaining duplicate lists of the machines.