[Samba] Samba and auditd

Alan Evangelista alan.vitor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 01:33:17 UTC 2021

I'm using Samba to share a Linux directory X in a machine A with a Windows
Server OS installed in a machine B and it's working fine.

I have recently installed auditd in the Linux system (machine A) to track
tilesystem events initiated by users in both machines A and B. It works
fine for file read/writes done in machine A, but I don't see any events
initiated in machine B in auditd logs. Using strace to track syscalls
called by smbd processes, I see that the open() syscall is called by samba
to open files in X when files are read/written in the machine B, so I guess
smbd is just getting the file request sent by Windows Server, forwarding
them to the Linux kernel via syscalls and forwarding the syscalls responses
back to Windows Server.

Is there any difference between an open() syscall called by Samba or by a
local Linux process (e.g. the touch command) which could explain the
inconsistency in auditd behavior?

Thanks in advance.