[Samba] Is it possible to set the protocol for a single client

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 10 19:46:24 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 07:32:17PM +0000, Rowland penny wrote:
>On 10/02/2021 19:07, Jeremy Allison via samba wrote:
>>On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 01:52:28PM -0500, Robert Steinmetz via samba
>>wrote:
>>>I have a few clients which require minimum protocol. Is it
>>>possible to set the min protocol on a per client basis?
>>>If so how?
>>
>>You could try doing an include directive in the
>>smb.conf based on client machine (%m or %M) parameter.
>>
>Hi Jeremy, how would that work ?
>
>I understand the concept of using 'includes', I just don't see how an
>include file that contains something like 'server minimum protocol =
>NT1' is going to affect a running samba, just how would the client
>trigger it ??

Matching on the remote hostname (%M) is
done at socket accept time (it's how
we handle the "hosts allow/ hosts deny"
parameters.

This is *before* the negprot is processed,
so if there is an include that adds
"server minimum protocol = NT1" it
will allow the client that matches
to connect using SMB1, but all others