[Samba] problems with secrets.ldb in samba 4.13.4

Jason Keltz jas at eecs.yorku.ca
Wed Feb 10 00:56:52 UTC 2021

Hi..

I'm just about to join 300+ hosts to a new AD domain next week. We have
upgraded from latest Samba 4.11 to 4.13.4.

On a client in the domain, I unjoin the domain, clear the samba
directory, and run my script for joining a host to the domain.

The join appears to succeed and I can login to the host. winbind appears
happy.

However, in the samba winbind log, log.wb-<WORKGROUP> I see many many times:

ldb: Failed to connect to '/local/samba/private/secrets.ldb' with
backend 'tdb': Unable to open tdb '/local/samba/private/secrets.ldb': No
such file or directory

Sure enough, only the file secrets.tdb exists, and not secrets.ldb.

Has something changed between 4.11 and 4.13 with respects to secrets.ldb?

I'm not even trying to make an old configuration work with the new
version.. I'm completely clearing the directory and letting samba
re-initialize it.

If I go back to the previous Samba version, and re-intialize, I get the
secrets.ldb file.

Any idea what's happening and what am I missing by not having the
secrets.ldb file?  Why do things "appear" to be working.

It's really important that I get this right for a succesful migration.

Jason.