[Samba] DNS listens to ::1

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 9 15:35:51 UTC 2021

On 09/02/2021 15:18, Yakov Revyakin via samba wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to make alive a Samba domain (let's say domain.name) made by
> another man.

Why say 'domain.name' and then go on to say 'tehama.room'  ?

> I have the next for nslookup on the dc
>
> ubuntu at dc01:~$ nslookup domain.name
> Server:         ::1
> Address:        ::1#53
>
> Name:   domain.name
> Address: 172.27.1.98

'::1' is the IPv6 loopback device, it should be using the DC's ipaddress
(172.27.1.98)

> Could you explain to me what "::1", "::1:53" mean? Do I need to fix that?

yes, you need to fix this.

> My /etc/hosts has among others:
>
> ::1     ip6-localhost   ip6-loopback
> 172.27.1.98 dc01 dc01.tehama.room

The last line is wrong, it should be:

172.27.1.98 dc01.tehama.room dc01

> Also I tried the following options in smb.conf
> interfaces = 172.27.1.98
> bind interfaces only = yes
>
> After this, nslookup stops working - timeout. Samba log shows after samba
> restart:
> dnsupdate_nameupdate_done: Failed DNS update with exit code 110
>
> cat /etc/resolv.conf
> 172.27.1.98
> search tehama.room
>
> Thanks

Can you please post the full contents of the following files:

/etc/hostname

/etc/hosts

/etc/samba/smb.conf

Rowland