[Samba] Warning messages when provisioning an ADDC

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Tue Feb 9 08:57:38 UTC 2021

Am 2/9/21 um 9:15 AM schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> Regarding unprivileged containers, jails etc, I would warn that anyone
> who stores Samba ACLs in an unprivileged namespace owns the security
> result themselves.  Samba assumes that these values are protected by
> the kernel, if they are not then our security assumptions are revoked.

hm, hm, with the acl_xattr VFS module with "acl_xattr:ignore system
acls" set to yes we're already relying on userspace for security
bypassing the kernel, so I wonder whether the namespace issue is really
the one I would worry about. As long as users don't have direct access
to the server storing the xattr in the user namespace might be an option.

Thoughts?

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                https://samba.org/