[Samba] Getting CTDB dbstatistics in csv format?

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Tue Feb 9 01:10:06 UTC 2021

Hi Bob,

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 10:26:30 -0500, Robert Buck via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Thanks, I'll do that. It might be a week or two. But I have solid C skills
> going back 25 years, and spent a decade doing C++.
>
> Let me know if there's a "getting started guide" for developers on the
> Samba project. Key tools to install, etc. I will need to spin up a VM to
> work in.
>
> Also, should chat with the CTO so he's aware.

Sorry that this was left with unanswered questions for so long...

The main thing to read would be this:

  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Contribute

It links to some other pages that are useful.

README.Coding.md at the top of the Samba tree is worth reading.

If you're only working on CTDB then you can ./configure and make
within the ctdb/ subdirectory.

In that case tests/README is worth a scan.

For the work on "ctdb dbstatistics" that you were proposing you would
probably want to add some tests in tests/UNIT/tool/.  I notice that we
don't currently have any tests for "ctdb dbstatistics" there.

That would actually involve implementing CTDB_CONTROL_GET_DB_STATISTICS
in tests/src/fake_ctdb.c.  One implementation would be to add
reading of canned data when fake ctdbd starts, as occurs with quite a
few other controls.

peace & happiness,
martin