[Samba] Unable to join domain?

Dan Egli dan at newideatest.site
Tue Feb 9 01:02:56 UTC 2021

On 2/8/2021 2:00 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 08/02/2021 00:34, Dan Egli wrote:
>> Okay, I guess it just takes a little while for Samba to see new
>> users. I took a 30 min break, came back and tried "getent passwd dan"
>> again, and this time it returned a user entry
>> (dan:*:10003:10000::/bulk/home/dan:/bin/bash) for me. But when I try
>> to ssh into the member server, ssh refuses to acknowledge the
>> password, treating it as if I got the password wrong. I looked over
>> the documents but they weren't a whole lot of help. And I tried
>> looking into the documents for my linux distribution (Gentoo) but
>> their documents are even older than those on the Samba page. So they
>> are of no help.
>

> I cannot help you with Gentoo, life's too short to compile all your
> own software 😂

Cute. To each their own. :) I like the idea of having software that ONLY
includes the features I want and no others. But that's one of the
beauties of Linux: the choices!
> However, if you had run 'net cache flush' then 'dan' would have
> appeared immediately. Your 'SSH' problem sounds like a 'PAM' problem.

I think you are likely right. But I have no clue to as to where to look
for getting pam fixed. If you could point me to a good resource, I'd be
grateful.

--
Dan Egli
On my test server