[Samba] Share Permissions vs. Security

Marco Shmerykowsky marco at sce-engineers.com
Sat Feb 6 02:56:58 UTC 2021

On 2/5/2021 10:23 AM, Stephen Atkins wrote:
> On 2/4/2021 3:15 PM, Marco Shmerykowsky via samba wrote:
>> Under "Setting up a Share Using Windows ACL's" in the
>> Sambawiki it states "You should only need to makes changes
>> to the Security Tab" and that the "Share Permissions
>> Tab should be set to Everyone:Full-Control,Change,Read.
>>
>> On my previous setup I had set the "Share Permissions"
>> to the MS Security Group that was allowed access to
>> the share.  Everything seemed to work.
>>
>> Can someone explain the difference between the two
>> settings?
>>

> This is something I've been curious about also.  Really wish Windows
> security settings where as easy as Linux was.

 From what I've read today, I'm gathering that the
Security Tab allows for more nuanced settings with
respect to the permissions.  Further it provides
"local" and "network" based settings/restictions

I guess a tangential question is whether there is a technical
reason for why the Sambawiki recommends setting the share
permissions to "Everyone:Full-Control,Change,Read"

It would seem if 1) you restricted a share to a single
security group, 2) there was never an intent to create
a "sub-share" and 3) there is effectively no "local"
access, then setting the "Share Permission"
would seem equally acceptable.