[Samba] Warning messages when provisioning an ADDC

Thomas Geppert t.geppert at t-online.de
Fri Feb 5 15:30:37 UTC 2021

On 05/02/2021 14:07, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> The provisioning and the nfs options given in the provisioning, thats the pain point.
> They are the way the OP is trying to get something that shouldn't work, to work.

GUILTY !  I have to confess.

However, I must say that I don't understand why it shouldn't work.
I'm relatively new to Samba but my understanding is that both vfs modules, acl_xattr and nfs4acl, are perfectly capable of storing NTACLs lossless.
Nevertheless, using the nfs4acl vfs module does not provide the same functionality as using the acl_xattr vfs module.

I did some research but without the background of 30 years of development that went into the product I'm a little bit lost at some points.

- Why are POSIX ACLs required at all during provisioning when NTACLs are available ?
- Why does the nfs4acl module intentionally mask the POSIX ACL calls and doesn't pass them down the stack or implement them the same way as the acl_xattr module ?

Thanks