[Samba] Bidirectional Rsync/Unison based SysVol replication workaround

Robert Wooden wdn2420systm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 12:49:53 UTC 2021

With my Samba setup, when I find something that is simple and works I tend
to stay the course. I have been using the "
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bidirectional_Rsync/osync_based_SysVol_replication_workaround"
for years. Back then I liked that Rsync/Osync handled backing up and
restoring of file acl's. I could be wrong but (too many years since I set
Osync up) I think Osync handled acl's with default settings but, again it's
been a long time.
Not that Rsync/Osync is anything better or worse than the Rsync/Unison
method. Running Rsync/Osync on your first DC replicates both ways. The only
possible problem I thought of is what if the DC running Osync "goes down"
for any reason, replication will halt.
I solved this by setting up Osync on both DC's (I have a two DC system) and
set the crontab times to alternate between DC's. The first DC cron tabs at
6, 18, 30, 42, and 54 minutes and the second crontab is 12, 24, 36, 48, and
59.8 minutes.
My DC's can forward system (root) emails in the event of any failures. Once
in a while i will receive an email that one of the syncs did not process
correctly. A few minutes later the other DC syncs and all must be fine as I
do not get any more emails except that single (first) email notice.
I started using this method before the Rsync/Unison method was refined to
be a good as it is today but, in my case Osync is working and I have not
had any sync failures over the many years I have been using Osync. I have
been using this method since 2013.
My two cents, do as you wish.