[Samba] Samba DNS Accounts

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 4 18:46:10 UTC 2021

On 04/02/2021 18:25, Bo Kersey wrote:
> AD01 is one of the ADDCs (and a domain member) running on Linux

OK, I think that means it is a Samba AD DC which is possibly being used
as a fileserver, in which case, it is possibly samba_dnsupdate that is
creating your record. samba_dnsupdate uses a file 'dns_update_list' to
create missing forward zone records, the first on this list is:

A ${HOSTNAME}                                           $IP

Without checking, I am not entirely sure where it gets ${HOSTNAME} from,
but it is likely to be the same as the output of 'hostname -s'

A way around this would be to remove the two incorrect records and
create the correct record with samba-tool:

samba-tool dns add ad01 samdom.example.com ad01 A ipv4_address_string

Where 'ipv4_address_string' is the computers ipaddress e.g. 192.168.0.7

You should also create the DC's reverse record.

Rowland