[Samba] admx Templates: how do they work?

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Thu Feb 4 09:36:07 UTC 2021

I use GPOs with admx files in several places for years now.

As I was searching for a solution for latest Windows 20H2 PCs I also
thought that maybe the admx templates on the DCs don't match/work.

In general:

how do these files work?

Are they copied and/or read by the clients/PCs? Or only used at
GPO-creation/edit time, by the servers running the Group Policy
Management Console?

The structure of the general store in $SYSVOL also makes me wonder. I
don't find any real howto: one set of files per Windows version, or
always write over the last set of files -> feels scary.

Is there a good explanation somewhere?

thanks, Stefan

ps: I already solved my initial problem, btw