[Samba] Migrating MIT Kerberos based AD DC to Heimdal based AD DC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 3 14:57:34 UTC 2021

On 03/02/2021 14:23, MATYAS, Tibor via samba wrote:
> We operate a MIT Kerberos based single Samba 4.8.6 AD DC on Gentoo Linux
> (BIND DLZ). I know, I know: very outdated!

I would be more concerned that you seem to be using an 'experimental'
MIT Samba DC in production.

> The "setup" and LAN  is completely decoupled from the internet, with a
> few Windows 10 members only.
> It is not clear to me, what is the current status of the Kerberos based
> AD DC
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Running_a_Samba_AD_DC_with_MIT_Kerberos_KDC
> was last updated on March 2019.

It is still experimental and should only be used for testing purposes.

> Because it is getting harder to keep the Gentoo Linux up-to-date with
> masking the current stable samba versions
> and it's dependencies, I guess we have two options:
> #1 update samba to the current stable of the gentoo portage tree: as I
> told you, I am not sure that this is possible without any
> issue.... Shall I update? We can live with the limitations of the MIT
> Kerberos based AD DC.

Why would you want to ?

> #2 migrate to a Heimdal based AD DC. But how? Is there an offline way?
> Or add a second, Heimdal based AD DC, demote the
> Kerberos based (to much work)...?

The last method is the correct one to get a fully production supported
Samba AD DC, Add a Samba AD DC using the Heimdal built into the Samba
source, transfer all the FSMO roles to the new DC and then demote the
original DC.

Rowland