[Samba] Migrating MIT Kerberos based AD DC to Heimdal based AD DC

MATYAS, Tibor tibor.matyas at dsi-as.de
Wed Feb 3 14:23:20 UTC 2021

We operate a MIT Kerberos based single Samba 4.8.6 AD DC on Gentoo Linux
(BIND DLZ). I know, I know: very outdated!
The "setup" and LAN  is completely decoupled from the internet, with a
few Windows 10 members only.
It is not clear to me, what is the current status of the Kerberos based
AD DC
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Running_a_Samba_AD_DC_with_MIT_Kerberos_KDC
was last updated on March 2019.

Because it is getting harder to keep the Gentoo Linux up-to-date with
masking the current stable samba versions
and it's dependencies, I guess we have two options:
#1 update samba to the current stable of the gentoo portage tree: as I
told you, I am not sure that this is possible without any
issue.... Shall I update? We can live with the limitations of the MIT
Kerberos based AD DC.
#2 migrate to a Heimdal based AD DC. But how? Is there an offline way?
Or add a second, Heimdal based AD DC, demote the
Kerberos based (to much work)...?

Thank you for your support
Tibor

DSI Aerospace Technologie GmbH

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Otto-Lilienthal-Str. 1, D-28199 Bremen, Germany
Web: http://www.dsi-as.de

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Dr.-Ing. Christian Dierker
                   M. Sc. Elias Hashem

HRB 17726, Amtsgericht Bremen
USt-IdNr.: DE 192 681 774