[Samba] moving DC to new hardware

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Feb 3 09:58:06 UTC 2021

Am 03.02.21 um 10:46 schrieb Joachim Lindenberg via samba:
> Hello Stefan, Ultimately the question is, what safety belt you want
> in case your copy operation fails for whatever reason. Once you fired
> up DC_new, you should not fire up DC_old again, and if DC_new doesn´t
> work properly, then essentially DC_old and DC_new are dead at least
> for some time in which there is no resilience anymore. Therefore
> joining a third DC as Andrew suggests is definitely the better
> approach. I´d definitely recommend virtualization to ease your future
> life...

I agree and understand.

Small company (~20 ppl) there so their budget is limited. That plays
into searching for the easiest and shortest path now (also in terms of
money ...).

Adding DC3: elegant, sure. I just fear the complications around that,
all the "new hostname", "sync SYSVOL" etc

I tend to clone the disks and move over ... in a maintenance window.