[Samba] moving DC to new hardware

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Feb 3 09:33:40 UTC 2021

I start to google and look for the best way to move one of two
Samba-4.12.x DCs to new hardware.

I assume I could shutdown "DC_old", then copy/dd the filesystems to the
new SSDs in the new server and (try to) boot it up there again. Sounds easy.

The more complicated way might be setting up "DC_new" (ok, keep the
hostname from "DC_old") fresh, cp over the various config files and DBs.

I have a DC2 that won't be touched in the process. That one should keep
my AD online.

DC_old is a up to date Debian server, it should just be transferred to
new hardware.

I want to avoid any unnecessary steps and issues here.

hints welcome.