[Samba] problems accessing shares with force group

Piviul piviul at riminilug.it
Wed Feb 3 07:46:02 UTC 2021

Il 02/02/21 17:15, Rowland penny via samba ha scritto:
> [...]
> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that smb.conf except for
> the 'wins server' line, you don't use wins with Samba AD.

you are right, I forgot to remove it.

>> Furthermore I don't know if it's normal but getent group or wbinfo
>> --group-info doesn't show member users but if I set winbind expand
>> groups to 1 the getent group and wbinfo --group-info shows correctly
>> the member users.
> You need to fix that, 'getent passwd username' & 'getent group
> groupname' must produce output.

...I think I've not explained myself... yes both produce output but
getent group <groupname> doesn't produce the members of the group if I
don't set winbind expand groups to 1. For example this is what I see if
I don't set winbind expand groups to 1:

$ getent group dominiocsa\\Domain\ Users
DOMINIOCSA\domain users:x:10513:

but all domain users are in Domain Users group. Do you think there is
something wrong in my samba configuration?

> Also, as 'Domain Users' is the default primary group for domain users,
> you don't really need the 'force group' line.

but it was just for example! Sometimes I use force group but now I can't
use it any more and I can't understand why and I would like to know why
... didn't you?

Piviul