[Samba] LDAP + Keytab without requiring administrator logins

Christian Kuntz c.kuntz at opendrives.com
Wed Feb 3 00:44:29 UTC 2021

Apologies for the duplicated email, replying back to the mailing list as
well:

Thanks for the response!

> As far as I am aware, only Administrator can join computers.

So if I'm understanding correctly, in order to utilize the LDAP server I
need to initialize the secrets.tdb with Administrator credentials?

> Ah, there is a problem, you cannot use sssd with Samba >= 4.8.0

I don't know if I've explained appropriately here, but sssd is providing
authentication and winbind is running allowing AD/LDAP users to mount
shares. We've found this method to work well for AD and LDAP, but are
having trouble with this particular challenge of allowing LDAP users to
mount shares without requiring the samba server to have LDAP admin
credentials, using only a fully provisioned and valid keytab.

> Why are you setting it to ldapsam ?

We want users to be resolved over LDAP, I'm under the impression from
reading the documentation and testing that this setting is required to
allow ldap users to mount shares.

>From the documentation, the kerberos method setting seems to imply that the
secrets.tdb does not need to be initialized
<https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html#KERBEROSMETHOD>
and
only a valid keytab (which we have) is required. No matter the setting, it
will complain that it cannot find the LDAP credentials in secrets.tdb, even
when it is configured not to use it.

Christian